The UCSIA Summer School brings together a multidisciplinary and international group of 30 PhD students and postdoctoral scholars.
It is the aim of the summer course is to give these young scholars the content, methodologies, disciplinary perspectives etc. necessary for conducting their research and to support them in the development of their future academic career. The programme offers them the opportunity to attend classes taught by established researchers, to present their own work and discuss their ideas in a relaxed and open atmosphere and within a multidisciplinary framework.
To ensure active involvement, the programme is composed of five types of classes:
- Lecture classes : the four guest lecturers teach three classes on a topic related to their research expertise.
- Interdisciplinary session addressing one of the key-issues of the programme.
- Paper sessions: In parallel paper sessions the participants have the opportunity to present their own research work and receive feedback from the guest lecturers and their fellow participants.
- Panel discussions: 2 panel discussions will be organised; the topic of these discussions will be decided upon in collaboration with all participants.
- Evening lectures: In the frame of the summer school, UCSIA organizes two public evening lectures for a broader, local audience. These sessions are optional for participants of the summer school.
In 2012 the programme will start on Sunday August 26th (arrival) and finish on Sunday September 2nd (departure). The emphasis will be on Secularism(s) and religion in society.
It is evident that religion, culture and society are strongly interwoven and are crucial for understanding the contemporary world. With globalization touching on all aspect of our lives, religion(s) and culture(s) have to understand their position in this complex globalizing process. It is the aim of the interdisciplinary UCSIA summer school to better understand the dynamic interplay between the macro- and micro-social developments concerning religion that takes place in much of the contemporary world.
Previous summer school topics were:
- 2007: Gender
- 2008: Multiculturalism
- 2009: Religion and politics
- 2010: Religion and culture in a globalizing world (two-day conference)
- 2011: Religion and international relations
All the information is here: http://www.ucsia.org/main.aspx?c=.SUMMERSCHOOL&n=93087
Our partner source: youth-in-action.org