The European Commission has launched a Call for Proposals for a programme for "Support to Cultural Diversity and Creativity in Egypt" with a budget of €1,500,000. The reference of the Call is EuropeAid/135-284/L/ACT/EG.
The global objective of this Call for Proposals is to provide better grounds for the development of the cultural sector in Egypt and the promotion of cultural diversity in the country. The specific objectives are to:
• Contribute to provide increased access to culture all over Egypt
• Support artistic and cultural education
• Support capacity building and structuring of the cultural and creative sectors in order to enhance its socio-economic impact and to improve the sustainability of operators/ organisations and the professionalism of actors in the cultural and creative sectors
• Protect and promote the diversity of the cultural expressions at local, national and international levels
• Reaffirm the importance of the link between culture and development in Egypt in line with the importance of culture and its contribution to the development process and to the efforts made in order to achieve the Millennium Development Goals
The call for proposals is divided into two lots, corresponding to the Programme specific objectives:
Lot 1: Encourage access to a wider range of cultural goods, services and cultural activities to promote human and social development through culture
Lot 2: Strengthen the capacities of already-existing/new cultural operators for the development of a more sustainable, dynamic cultural sector contributing to economic growth
From a cross-sectorial point of view, all the proposals are expected to contribute to social inclusion, social cohesion and economic growth in Egypt. These specific objectives constitute the priority fields for this Call for Proposals
Actions under both lot 1 and lot 2 can be implemented at different levels: strengthening the communities' involvement; building capacities of local public bodies and non-state actors; supporting specific pilot initiatives; proving sub-granting to a selection of promising initiatives; or combining several of these levels.
The deadline for submission of Concept note is 7 May 2014.
In December 2012, the EU and the Egyptian Ministry of International Cooperation jointly adopted a Programme for the promotion of the cultural sector in Egypt, giving a specific importance to modern creativity and cultural industries. The Call for Proposals is funded by this Programme.
A press release from the EU Delegation in Egypt said the country has a central position in the region in terms of its modem cultural production. Its cultural products and trends represented the strongest cultural influence in the region until the 1970s. However, this situation was challenged by many political and economic factors since then.
"Conscious about the added-value of Egyptian cultural and creative industries, this Programme intends to reinforce the quality, competitiveness of this sector as well as promoting an increased access to diversified cultural offer in Egypt, paying a special attention to culturally deprived areas, both in rural and urban areas, and thus contributing to Egypt's overall development," the press release said.
Source: EU Neighbourhood Info